I decided to create a 3D project that was not made following a tutorial or my book. What you see here is the result of a lot of experimentation and waiting. This is just a glass with a reddish fluid in it, and an ice cube in that, all on a marble surface. The real kicker was working the fluid simulation in Blender correctly.
As it turns out, a resolution of 300 will just take 3 hours to bake then look like crap and not be smoothable, so I ended up just using the 100 resolution and smothing it out to get rid of the blocky shapes in the liquid. Just baking at a resolution of 100 would have taken about 10 minutes. Lessons have been learned.
All meshes and materials by me in Blender 2.68a
Rendered in cycles at 2000 samples (3.5 hour render time)
Azure marble texture by
, tiled using GIMP 2.8.6